Thursday, May 29, 2008

Colletto gives jilted Jones more motivation

Colletto gives jilted Jones more motivation
by Tom Kowalski
Thursday May 29, 2008, 1:17 PM
Just five months removed from reconstruction surgery on his right knee, former Detroit Lions running back Kevin Jones turned in an amazing workout before a couple of reporters on Thursday.

As seen in the video, Jones ran a couple of 40-yard sprints – uphill – and did some shuttle drills on grass. He did all of this after going through a rigorous training period.

Kevin Jones talks rehab and life after the Lions


"I know the NFL will be shocked,'' said Dr. D.S. Ping, who is spearheading Jones' rehab work. "He can go into (training) camp right now. All he needs is football conditioning. They told him it'd be a year and he's ready now.''

Before running his sprints, Jones yelled "Colletto'' as he got down in his three-point stance. Jones is referring to Jim Colletto, the Lions new offensive coordinator.

"I felt he was one of the reasons,'' Jones said. "Before I got let go, in the weeks leading up to that, I'd see on the Internet or (the Lions') website him saying they needed a guy who can make people miss, a back who can take it the distance. Well, I'm on the team and the starting running back so he's saying they need somebody else. I don't have any personal feelings toward him, it's just some extra motivation.''

Jones, who returned early from Lisfranc surgery on his left foot last season, was cut by the Lions in March.

"They were concerned about my foot and my knee being a factor at the same time,'' Jones said. "They said because of cap space they had to make some decisions. They said I had two significant injuries and it was the best decision to let me go.''

Jones, who was scheduled to make $2.4 million in 2008, will hold a workout for all NFL teams on June 28. Jones has already visited the New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans.


Kevin Jones talks rehab and life after the Lions

No comments: