Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lions' third-round pick Kevin Smith loves football, fishing, Denzel and LeBron

June 29, 2008


Kevin Smith was selected 64th overall by the Lions in this year's NFL draft. The Lions traded up to the first pick of the third round to take the 6-foot-1, 215-pound running back out of Central Florida. As a junior this past season, Smith rushed for 2,567 yards, falling 61 yards short of Barry Sanders' single-season NCAA record. Recently he chatted with Free Press special writer Jon Machota:


You have your own Web site. Who came up with the idea for www.ImKevinSmith.com? My marketing person met with a guy, and he wanted me to try it out and I did it. I didn't finish though. I'm a finisher, but I didn't get a chance to finish my Web site, man I've had so much to do. But it's been a great experience for me.

Are you going to keep the site up throughout your career? I think I am, but I'm going to switch it, though. It's not going to be I'm Kevin Smith. I'm going to do my own Web site. That was for him, so I'll probably do my own when I get established in Detroit.

On your Web site you ranked yourself as the best running back in this class of rookies. What sets you apart? I ran for 2,567 yards and 30 touchdowns. I led the nation in scoring and rushing. How are you better than me?

What's something you want to buy with your first NFL contract? I'll just get a house and a car. That's it. ... I got to wait a couple more contracts. This ain't a big splurging contract. This is just a settle in and live (contract).

On your Web site, you compared your season at Central Florida last year to what Denzel Washington was to the movie business that year. If there were a movie about you, would he play you? It would have to be Denzel. Denzel's the man. You look at all his movies, he's the man. You enjoy watching Denzel, you enjoy watching me.

Favorite Denzel movie? Probably "Training Day."

Coming from Florida, will it be difficult to adjust to the Michigan weather? In the winters I'll adjust, but I think we'll be (inside) during the winter. I'll adjust though.

Hobbies? I like to fish and I was just talking to Ernie (Sims) about collecting reptiles. He's got some reptiles. I like animals (and) pets. And cooking. Just chilling. When I'm not playing football, I like just being a regular human being and just relax and not even think about it. It's hard not to think about it. It is my job now.

Are you going to keep No. 34 or are you going to try and get back No. 24 like you wore in college? I'm going to keep it. It's my rookie number. This is what they gave me. I made 24, I'll make 34.

Kevin Jones wore that number last year and he was looked at as the running back of the future. Do you want to be looked at in the same way? The fans will see me for what I am. I don't want to make any promises and tell them I want to be that guy. You just end up being that person by the things you do on the field. The fans, I think they'll embrace me by my performance. I'm just going to do what I got to do, just play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Who's been your biggest football influence? Definitely my mother (Pam). She's the one that kept me going. I think she wants to switch places with me. I think she wants to be in the NFL. She loves sports, especially football, especially watching her baby boy. My mother's always been there. I plan on making her proud.

What else makes her so special to you? She just taught me how to be a man. ... She showed me what it means to work hard and work for what you want.

Players you enjoyed watching when you were growing up? A lot of football players. Emmitt (Smith), Deion (Sanders), Dorsey Levens, Jamal Anderson, Ahman Green, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Reggie Bush when he was at USC.

Are you a fan of any other sports? Basketball. LeBron James fan for sure. LeBron James and (Michael Jordan fan).

So you're a Cavs fan even though Detroit could be their rival? It could, (but) I'm a LeBron fan. You can't take me away from LeBron.

No comments: