Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Running forward: Brian Calhoun might finally fit in with Lions
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • June 3, 2008

He's a running back. He's a third-round pick. He fits the Lions' new zone running scheme. And he sounds remarkably comfortable and confident.


But he's not Kevin Smith, the guy the Lions drafted this year. He's Brian Calhoun, the guy the Lions drafted two years ago.

Remember him?

Calhoun has played only 11 games over two seasons, with 14 carries and six catches. He suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament as a rookie and struggled with it last year.

Now, as the Lions go through their off-season program, with training camp in late July, he finds himself up against stiff competition -- Smith, Tatum Bell, Artose Pinner and Aveion Cason.

If some people are writing him off, Calhoun isn't offended. He doesn't rant and rave about a lack of respect.

"I mean, it's understandable," Calhoun said in a recent interview, "because I haven't played a lot the last two years."

That doesn't mean Calhoun thinks doubters are right, though. He thinks he is in the best position to succeed since coming to Detroit. He's healthy, the system suits him, and the competition, while stiff, is wide open.

"I'm confident in my ability and what I can do," Calhoun said, "and I think now that we have the system in place that's going to be able to show what I can do, it's going to give me a better chance to perform at a high level."

Many people were surprised when the Lions drafted Calhoun -- including Calhoun. He said he had never spoken to the Lions beforehand. He was hoping offensive coordinator Mike Martz had some secret plans for him.

But Kevin Jones was entrenched as the starting running back, and Calhoun had to learn Martz's system.

"His offense is pretty complex," Calhoun said. "It's tough to pick up for a regular player, let alone a rookie. I never really caught up to where I could have been a major contributor."

After appearing in seven games, Calhoun suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in practice. He came back last season but lasted only four games before the Lions put him back on injured reserve.

"At the time I was kind of frustrated because I felt that I was healthy, but I really wasn't," Calhoun said. "It didn't feel the same, obviously. I didn't have the burst. It was always sore. I never had swelling, but it was always sore, always bothering me."

And now?

"It's not sore," Calhoun said. "It's not tired. I mean, I feel great. My legs feel good. ... I really feel more confident in my knee than last year."

Calhoun said he began his off-season training earlier this year, the first week of February. He is taking better care of his body, stretching and warming up properly, eating better. After bulking up the past couple of years, he's back down to his old playing weight of 208 pounds, but a leaner, stronger 208 pounds.

"I haven't felt this good since I came out of college a couple years ago," Calhoun said.

The atmosphere was edgy under Martz.

"I mean, obviously, we all know last year and the last couple years, it was like walking on eggshells around here," Calhoun said hesitantly.

But Martz has been fired. The atmosphere has cleared, and new offensive coordinator Jim Colletto uses a zone scheme similar to the one in which Calhoun ran at Wisconsin.

Calhoun said he was shocked when the Lions released Jones but had no emotional reaction when the Lions drafted Smith and brought back Bell, Pinner and Cason. He said he was focused on getting himself ready to compete.

"I'm confident I can be the starter and carry the ball 20 times a game and do the things they want me to do, but I'm also confident that ... we have guys who can all do it," Calhoun said.

"We're all different. We're all different shapes, sizes. It's going to be interesting -- good interesting, not bad interesting. I'm excited for it, and I'm sure all the other guys are, too."




MY THOUGHTS
I hope this guy can do something. I was happy when we drafted him but was very confused and embarrased as a fan when i found out how we got him. It was our pick and all the scouts, coaches and Millen were in the room going at it trying to figure out who to draft. It was getting close to the end of our alloted time and everyone looked around and was asking " ok so who do we pick? " then someone yells from the back of the room " what about Calhoun from wisconsin? " We had never brought him in for a visit, went and talked to him or had anyone interview him. If he doesnt show something this year in training camp he is done.

No comments: